Thursday, February 17, 2011

Waiting

I've been waiting for a bed in Vincents since yesterday. It's not a long time considering the usual wait time, so it's ok. But it is frustrating. I did home iv's for three weeks at home, meaning I spent an hour and a bit a day infusing two different drugs into my system every eight hours as well as my normal nebulisers etc. It was working great, even though it was so exhausting. Last Monday on my weekly check up to the hospital my lung function was nearly back up to baseline. That evening my sinuses started acting up again and post-nasal drip came out of no where. Because of some other physical deformity in my sinuses I can't use most sinus sprays because they could infect my brain. (Problem child est moi!) So there was little I could do but nasal rinses and lots of physio. The post-nasal drip reinvigorates the bacteria in the lungs and literally gives it a fresh army. At my appointment on Wednesday my lung function had dropped 30%, to a number lower than when I originally started IV's. So disappointing. It's literally as if I've been popping smarties and infusing water into my veins for the past three weeks. It's frustrating. I also couldn't run because of my foot, and even though I used the cross trainer, did weights, core and cycled a lot it's not the same as running. The pounding involved in running really shakes up the lungs and moves that mucus out.

So here I am waiting for a bed again. I'll probably get a 6 bed and spend the first week and a half  konked out on new drugs while trying to keep an eye on everything going on around me. I've been mentally trying to prepare myself for it since I found out. That place is so soul destroying.
I was really looking forward to being better and running the Connemara Half Marathon in April. I really needed end of Feb and all of March to train properly for it. I'm not giving up on it yet, but we'll see. I can't afford to be foolish about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment